Saturday, June 9, 2007

July 1st--Drop Dead Date for this Summer

The Ethiopian government recently informed our adoption agency that July 1st is the deadline for adoption dossiers to reach the court system if they are to be processed before the onset of the rainy season (when the country goes into hibernation for 6-8 weeks). For us, that means that we must receive and accept a referral from our adoption agency before July 1st if we have any hopes of traveling this summer.

Now that school is out, Allyson and I have a ton of time on our hands and it's killing us that we might not travel this summer! (no, I'm not whining about having time on my hands) We went to a meet-n-greet yesterday hosted by the adoption agency, during which we got to meet the newly adopted son of a couple who returned from Ethiopia less than a month ago. He was the cutest little guy and sanguine--very content to be passed around and handled by a variety of anonymous (to him) admirers. That and stories of Ethiopia's rich culture and welcoming people from those who had recently traveled there just whet our appetite all the more to travel now and pick up our son!

Alas, this issue of timing is out of our hands. We accept that while continuing to hope for that magic phone call soon. Thanks for hoping and praying with us.

4 comments:

The Elliott Family said...

I just love your titles!

Rachel

Amy said...

I keep checking your blog everyday hoping for some news....Its coming...its just gotta be!! :) Can't wait!

The Bailey Family said...

Hey- I am a friend of Mel's from college, and she just let me know you were adopting from Ethiopia!! We just traveled to Ethiopia two months ago and brought home our little girl, Amilia Degenesh. She is now 10 months old and doing wonderfully! I hope and pray you get a referral before the rainy season! Please let me know if you have any questions- you can post on my blog and let me know- Take Care and Good luck! It is a wonderful experience!

Anonymous said...

Update...update...please! Tell us what's going on now. I feel like I'm reading a suspense novel and my dog chewed up the last half!! C'mon....

Gina