Monday, July 30, 2007

Does God speak through shoes at Wal Mart?

As Christian mentioned, we've had a little "marital discord" about naming the baby. We were discussing how hard it is to choose among names... some sound better, others look better (we are both into spelling!) and others have a more meaningful meaning (am I allowed to say that?) We were at La Madeleine discussing our "turmoil" over what to name the baby and Christian said he just keeps praying that God will reveal it to him. We had it narrowed down to two names and we just couldn't break the tie.
Sooooo as I was calling friends telling them the good news, I was shopping at Wal-Mart for baby stuff... ya know, trying to choose between 10 types of baby bottles when I don't have a clue which one will be better for our little guy. And then they have the CUTEST baby shoes! But man, how am I supposed to know if a 9 month old wears a size 1 or size 3.... and actually I figure he doesn't need shoes anyway but they are so darn CUTE!!! I was just talking to one friend right after the other, talking on my headset, walking with my shopping cart when I saw some cute brown heels (for me, not baby). Anyway I tried them on, sort of absentmindedly as I excitedly talked on the phone... I then looked at the tag, and I noticed the name on the shoes. Not the brand name, but the style name. Some of you guys (males) out there probably don't know that lots of shoes have a name for that particular style. Anyway, this particular shoe was named "Reece"- which is one of two names we were trying to decide between! And it was spelled right! It was the only pair of shoes I picked up! We've been praying for a sign from God!!! SOOOOOOO I concluded that this could be a message from God (I know some of you fashionistas out there would never believe that God speaks through Wal-Mart shoes {Tara G!} but it's good enough for me.
I was so excited when I came home to tell Christian, bruising my leg while running through the house... only to find that he was gone playing poker! So I waited for him to come home, and he walked through the front door with a half eaten package of Reese's peanut butter cups in his hands! Could that be two signs from God? I don't know... but it's enough for us to decided that our baby is named

Reece Besufeked Gehman!

Okay, it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue but "Reece Gehman" isn't bad. He's always "Baby Reece" to me when I think about him.
Yeah, it's great to have a name. Reece means "enthusiasm" and he sure looks enthusiastic to us.
Only a few hours until we hear from Mary (our case worker) to find out if everything went well with the court date in Ethiopia! As soon as we hear from her, we will get our plane tickets!!!!!
I've bought the cutest little outfits for little Reece... it is so fun to shop for those tiny things. Although I have to say that girl clothes are way cuter than boy clothes. It's not fair. Reece is going to have to get a sister.
P.S. I didn't buy the brown shoes. I figured I didn't need them. And they sort of hurt my feet. But I still feel like it was a message from God!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! He is absolutely adorable! I can imagine that you're scrambling around like crazy trying to get ready. My husband and I (from KY) are with Gladney and we accepted our referral last Thursday and had a court date for Friday! We're officially parents of a beautiful baby girl. We're traveling either Aug. 15 or 22. Too bad we're not going the same week. I thought it might be nice if we emailed or talked. We're no fun and don't have a blog, but my email is josad@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you! Have fun getting ready!! And good luck with court! Josa Harl

Anonymous said...

Congrats Christian
I was named after a band of men's slacks. I think it's worked out ok all these years. I think Reece Gehman is a great name what ever inspired it. May God bless you and your new little one.

Ferrah Horton

Anonymous said...

Ally, that is hilarious! I love it and think that's a great name. Although I may still have to call him "Ked" every now and then just for fun... ;) These blogs are priceless...thanks for sharing the adventure with us! Love, Lori

The Elliott Family said...

What a great and funny story! Reece is an awesome name!

Congratulations!!

Jana said...

what a sweet, fun story! I think God totally has a sense of humour. :) And "Reece" is a great name! What a cutie pie.

Dusty Rush said...

If he someday becomes a shoe salesman, then you will know it was definitely from God! What was the other name? Was it Dusty? I knew it was! Wasn't there anything in Walmart named Dusty?

Stacie said...

Cute name & what a great story!

I read that you might be traveling SOON! How exciting - we're leaving this weekend so we may be there around the same time.

We have a blog and our email is kevinandstacie@yahoo.com

Congratulations again! :)

Mamato2 said...

I've had many proofs that God IS a comedian, so think you might have something, there, with the shoe thing! :)As for what size for baby at 9 mths, my girlie is still in size infant, but most boys are in 3, even 4, so I'd go bigger (and make sure they are SOFT soles) rather than smaller. :)
Blessings,
L.

Amy said...

Love the name Reece and totally think the Lord spoke to you through the shoes! How fun! Little Reece is so obviously meant to be a Gehman! yah!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! This is great new and like the name. Many Blessings. Little boys are great and you can find cute clothes for Boys too. :)